On Monday I got a call from the ambulance training school. They didn’t get enough students in Stuttgart, so the school is cancelled. The company offered me a choice:

1: A place at the residential school in Daschow, north of Berlin, at exactly the same time as the one I applied to attend in Stuttgart.

2: A place in the school in Stuttgart, but starting in August.

Because I applied on the understanding that I’d be in Stuttgart, they have offered to cover the cost of the bed and board in Daschow during the one-month theory phase. Whilst the idea of a few weeks in a swanky hotel surrounded by great cycling country is tempting,* this would still mean getting there, and being away from Beautiful Wife and Awesome Boys at least a week at a time and possibly two, although I realise that’s quite normal for many families, so I can’t complain. For the practical phase I’d ask the school to find me placements near Stuttgart, so I can come back for those months at least, then I’d have to go back to Daschow for the exam week.

The other option would mean doing the theory phase in August, missing my best friends wedding, and then trying to fit the practical phases in when I have a holiday from my carpentry apprenticeship. As the practical section must be eight weeks long, and we get about four weeks holiday a year, (and that’s company holidays when everything shuts down: there’s no flexibility) it would take two years with no break to finish the course, then another week to do the exam, with long gaps for me to forget everything in between. I could go for a part time course, but then I’d have juggle seminar dates and holidays as well…

So I guess the question is if we think it’s worth it for me to go to Daschow, or should I risk trying a part-time course…

I’ll be calling the school today to see how the details work out…

*Not that this has any bearing on the decision of course, just mentioning it.

Advertisements