Sunrise on the way into work. It’s a bit chilly.

Slowly, gradually, the days are getting longer, and I’m already riding to work in something like daylight. An early finish to work last week meant I could actually see daylight on the way back as well.

Above the sun can be seen setting over the Kaiserstühl, an extinct volcano inconsiderately located between my apartment and work so I have to go around the right hand end of it. On the other hand it gives the region a Mediterranean climate, so I probably shouldn’t complain too much.

Thanks to some flexible co-workers I was able to get a couple of extra days holiday over Christmas to spend with the family.

Now it’s my turn to cover their shifts for a bit.

Talk amongst yourselves; I’ll be back at some point…

Work isn’t getting any less hectic over time, so here’s a couple of rather hurriedly and poorly executed images from the week.

Sunrise on the way to work

The “upcycling” products visible in various stages in previous posts have been arriving in the shops run by the company. This was fine until shop managers started asking how much they should cost.

This stumped us: We’re social workers and occupational therapists, we don’t know about money, for goodness sakes’. Eventually I asked around and took an average of all the suggestions, then rounded up to the nearest Euro.

It seems to have worked: shop managers report that they’re selling fast and are asking for more…

The general busyness mentioned in previous posts has continued to be the predominant state of affairs. Also the nights have drawn in sufficiently that I’m riding in the dark most of the time. This combination doesn’t make for extensive or interesting blogging possibilities.

The roads are also pretty damp a lot of the time, hence the need to wash the bike: seen above the bike being made respectable for polite society, also showing the curious off centre V-Brake on the front wheel which I’ve never been able to correct…

Waiting at a crossing on the way back from work. Weather decidedly sludgy; so much for this being the “German Tuscany”…

I”m back in the small shop this week, as they are short staffed and I need to get trained up so I can cover for holidays and other things. This is fine but doesn’t offer the same variety of photo opportunities that training and woodwork do, so posting is likely to slow down a bit. We shall see.

Beautiful Wife got me a mug a while back. This is my job description, pretty much.

We may be 400m (ca. 1300ft) above sea level, but on this massive flood plain you are never far from water, and Autumn brings fog in large quantities. Also it’s not some namby-pamby fog that turns up in the morning and wanders off when the sun comes out; this was the view all day for two days.

Approximately halfway back from work, crossing the river Elz; extravagantly lit building in the background is the former brewery. With unusually good timing a train went past as I took the picture.

Light on top of the hill is a the Michaelskapelle or Church of St Michael, which has apparently been there since 969. It is on top of a hill in the middle of the Rhine plain so it probably has a very good view, and at some point I’ll get myself into gear to actually go and look.

Church of St. Peter, Endingen.

I wasn’t actually looking for tourist sights, rather trying to find a road through the town with minimal cobbles…

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Contact me